Tips For The Translucent - Beauty & Lifestyle

Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 March 2016

Lean in 15 - A Month Of Eating The Body Coach's Recipes

Buying this book was yet another helpful recommendation from the same colleague who suggested the 5K (holla, Andrea - thanks for keeping me motivated). I got it for £7.99 on Amazon at the end of January with the intention of eating as many of his recipes that I fancied - at least across the whole of February. I was keen to shake things up too - I'd been living off salads and chicken which was delicious but bordering on bland.

It arrived really quickly so I was able to get started straight away. I loved the book, flipping through every page the moment I opened it. The pictures and layout are colourful as well as glossy. He's also sectioned all the recipes according to when they should be eaten - low carb for everyday and carb-based for post workout meals to refuel. On top of that, there's some snacks and a section for his at-home HIIT workout (no equipment, no excuses).

It's a fantastic book for basic food education and re-working your relationship with food as well. His main focus is eating food that nourishes the body and staying away from the scale (or 'sad step' as he calls it). I didn't mind staying away from the scale so much with all that Christmas weight sat on my hips. I did struggle not to count calories though - I just couldn't avoid entering the recipes into MyFitnessPal to make sure I wasn't going over my daily calorie allowance. Most of the recipes were heavily vegetable based which was calorie-friendly, but I did have to halve quite a lot of the meat quantities to keep to my daily goals.

Another thing that a lot of people comment on is the cost. It does cost money to eat fresh, particularly as a lot of the recipes call for added ingredients to flavour the dish (ginger, lime, spring onion, chilli) which can stack up pretty quick. My first weekly shop was £67 where I usually spend £40 - but a lot of that basket were things like coconut oil (which is still going strong) and spices that I didn't have in my cupboard already. Subsequent baskets were around £50-£55 so still expensive but the portions are huge even with my meat quantities halved so the cost was well worth it to me.

I definitely had my favourite recipes - usually anything that involved cheese (come at me cheesy chorizo). The thing I liked most about the book was how easy to make the recipes are. None of this 'broil this', 'ferment that' or 'grow your own asparagus' bullshit that you get in a lot of other cookbooks. Just straightforward recipes that can usually be chucked in one pan and completed in 15-20 minutes.

At the end of the 5 weeks of Lean in 15 recipes, I ended up losing 9lbs. However, I should point out that I think this more to do with a calorie deficit than the recipes themselves. I didn't buy this book for weight loss - I bought it for fresh and tasty recipes. The weight loss that came with it was reassuring though. Especially since you see so many amazing transformations through his 90 Day SSS Plans on his social media.

All in all, I really enjoyed all of the recipes that I tried in the Lean in 15 book and it's got a firm place on my cookbook shelf. I'm moving on to the BBC Good Food Low Calorie cookbook next and will let you know how I get on with that. In the meantime, here's some pictures of some of my Lean in 15 dinners from Instagram because YES - I'm the type of instagrammer that takes picture of food #judgeme







No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Pale Girls' Guide. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign